The Florentine Chianti
This is a wide hilly area situated at the heart of Tuscany, half way between Florence and Siena.
Renowned worldwide for its excellent wine production, the Chianti territory is characterized by the continuous alternation of valleys and gentle hills, covered both with vineyards and olive trees and with old villages, parish churches and abbeys, castles and fortresses. The area has been inhabited since Etruscan times – they seem to have been the first ones to have cultivated the vineyards. Afterwards it has been heavily dominated by the Romans.
A fact worthy to remember is that a 1932 ministerial decree identified the territories where the Chianti wine could have been produced, extending the sector to most of the Tuscan provinces, going much further than the traditional production area known as “Classic Chianti”.
Tour: Wine tasting in the typical factory in Chianti. It could be included the visit in Greve in Chianti and Pieve di San Leolino: 12th century and a 17th century. It has been mentioned already in the 10th century. The building we see today has a three-aisle Romanesque structure. On the right side we see a 14th century cloister, while on the inside there are: an early medieval stone slab, two glazed terracotta tabernacles attributed to Giovanni della Robbia, a 12th century reredos attributed to Meliore di Jacopo illustrating the Virgin with Saints Peter and Paul and a triptych by Mariotto di Nardo representing the Enthroned Virgin and Child with saints and angels.