Città di Castello: It’s the ancient borough of the Umbrian people who settled down here because of the strategic importance of the area, found at the border between Tuscany and the Emilia-Romagna region. During the Middle Ages it became a Commune and it has always been on conflict with the nearest city-states. The “Civitas Castelli” became more and more powerful and rich thanks to the development of flourishing commercial activities, among which the printing, an important part of the economic network of the town even today. During the XVIth century the Vitelli family became very influent in town and changed even the urban structure of the settlement, filling every angle of the town with their own properties.
Citerna: It has recently been noted for its beauty, as one of the winning villages in the 'Borghi più Belli d'Italia' (most beautiful villages in Italy) award.
Citerna was known in Roman times as Civitas Sobariae, it suffered repeated looting during the barbarian invasions. During the medieval period it was reigned by Malatesta and subsequently incorporated in the State of the Church (XVth century). At the beginning of the sixteenth century, the Pope included Citerna under the reign of Vitelli family until the end of the seventeenth century.
On the 23-26 of July 1849 Citerna gave asylum to Garibaldi.
During the second world war, it suffered serious damages by the German army: the already famous fortress was almost completely destroyed.
Montone: believed to be of Medieval origins, Montone appears in the tenth century as a feudal lord of the Margravate of Colle and subsequently of the Del Monte family. By 1121 Montone, now under the direct control of Perugia, was authorized to be self-governing under its own statutes and legal officers.
In 1414 it was given to Braccio da Montone. His family held it until the early 16th century, when the Vitelli family acquired it. Later in the century it was annexed to the Papal States.