It’s the most important High Tiber Valley center, a gateway for those coming here from the Romagna region. It’s the ancient borough of the Umbrian people who settled down here because of the strategic importance of the area, found at the border between Tuscany and the Emilia-Romagna region. During the Middle Ages it became a Commune and it has always been on conflict with the nearest city-states. The “Civitas Castelli” became more and more powerful and rich thanks to the development of flourishing commercial activities, among which the printing, an important part of the economic network of the town even today. During the XVIth century the Vitelli family became very influent in town and changed even the urban structure of the settlement, filling every angle of the town with their own properties.
Cylindrical Bell Tower: its foundation was laid in the XIth century.
The Cathedral: it was built from the XIVth to the XVIth century; its unfinished façade is baroque and can be dated back somewhere between 1632 and 1646; the Cathedral’s Museum can be found on the side of the church; it hosts precious objects, a vivid example of the church’s evolution during the Middle Ages and a masterpiece by Rosso Fiorentino, the Resurrected Christ.
The Palazzo Comunale: it was built in the XVIth century by the architect Angelo da Orvieto; it’s a record of the Florentine architectural influence present in town before the arrival of the Vitelli family; we can see this especially in the rustic bossed stones used like in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.
The Civic Tower: also built in the XIVth century, it was once called “The Bishop’s Tower” because it was attached to the Bishop’s Building.
The Palazzo del Podestà: the façade facing the Cavour street is coeval with the Municipality’s Building and it seems like the original project of the edifice belonged to Angelo da Orvieto in this case as well; the side facing the Matteotti square is baroque; in the same square we also see the Palazzo Vitelli known as the Abundance Building.
The Church of Saint Francis: its origins can be traced back to the XIIIth century, but it has been modified various times until the XVIIIth century; here we can see the important Vitelli chapel built by Giorgio Vasari, an architect and painter who is also the author of the Coronation of the Virgin altar piece (1564).
The Church of Saint Dominic: it was built in the XVth century and later modified even though the façade was left unfinished.
The Municipal Art Gallery: it is one of the most important art galleries in the Umbria region; it can be found inside the prestigious Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera; the building was erected by Antonio da Sangallo between 1521 and 1532; Giorgio Vasari also contributed to the works, as we can see form the external graffiti of the building.
The Burri Museum: undisputed Italian artist of the XXth century, Alberto Burri was esteemed worldwide; he was born in Città di Castello in 1915 and he died in Nice in 1995.