It is located in an emerging position on the Subasio Mount in the Umbrian Valley. The city is among the most interesting places of the Umbria region and it has been entirely surrounded by the medieval walls since 14th century. The most interesting part of the city is represented by the Roman remains which were reworked in the Middle Ages.
The center is the oldest part of the city because here was the Roman town and its ancient name was "Hispellum". It was linked with the Flaminia street (via Flaminia) which was connected with the Assisi and Perugia roads. Spello was later occupied by the Longboard population and it became part of the Duchy of Spoleto.In the middle of the 12th and 13th centuries there were several conflicts between the papacy and the empire and, unfortunately, Spello was involved and suffering the ravages because of Frederick II.In the 14th century the city expands its walls and it is under the control of the Papal States. Spello became fief under the Baglioni's authorities. In 1583, the city is under the papal government and it doesn't change the urbanistic and architectural structure of the city.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore
It was founded in 11th and 12th centuries. The cathedral is overlooking the square and its façade was modified with a portal in 1644, designed by Belardino from Como, who reuses the materials of the original Romanesque church. Next to the façade is the massive Romanesque bell tower with a pyramidal spire and two Roman columns.
The Baglioni Chapel has a precious Deruta majolica on the floor created in 1566 and it is decorated with the frescoes by Pinturicchio in 1501 under the commission of the Baglioni family. These frescoes are considered among the best works of art painted by the artist.
The altar is covered with a precious stone tabernacle made by Rocco from Vicenza in 1515; the eight heads of prophets in terracotta which are protruding from the round of plumes, were added by Gian Domenico da Carrara in 1562. On the pillars which are flanking the apse, there are two works by Perugino: "Devotion with the Saints John and Magdalene", signed and dated 1521 and "Madonna and Child Enthroned with the Sts. Blaise and Catherine of Alexandria”, painted in the same year.