The S. Miniato al Monte church is one of the most important buildings in Romanesque style in Florence, along with the Baptistery of St. John. It is one of the masterpieces of Florentine architecture and the fundamental element on the façade is the color contrast between the green and white marble of Prato. It means to balance the proportional and constructive building with the decorative façade.
The church's interior is highlighted by the strict proportional balance. The basilica has three naves and an articulation of space in three levels typical of the Romanesque style.
The Chapel of the Crucifix designed by Michelozzo in 1448 was built for the Crucifix of San Giovanni Gualberto and then relocated in the Santa Trìnita Church. Here there are the panels painted by Agnolo Gaddi and on the vault the works of Luca della Robbia.
On the apse is a mosaic of Christ between the Virgin and St. Minias (1260).
The crypt is the oldest part of the church. In the vaults are the frescoes by Taddeo Gaddi.
Cardinal of Portugal Chapel: here is the monument of the Cardinal, a masterpiece by Antonio and Bernardo Rossellino.
The main attraction is the raised choir in marble and the Romanesque pulpit supported by a square with a statue of St. John the Evangelist and an eagle.
The Sacristy is decorated with a great frescoes cycle about the Life of St. Benedict by Spinello Aretino.