Bevagna is located in the heart of Umbria and it stands on the western boarder of the Umbrian Valley and it has probably been inhabited since the VIIth century B.C.; the ancient Mevania has reached its maximum splendor under the Roman rule because of its fortunate position on the Flaminia road; inside its town walls which incorporated part of the Roman ones, the main plaza was formed, surrounded by four neighborhoods known as “gaite” (guards).
The Church of St.Michael Archangel was built in the 12th century. Its facade is the best-conserved part of the whole building, inside is still preserving its Romanic characteristics.
The facade has three portals; the middle portal is rich in decorative motifs. The building was completed by the Cosmatesque sculptor, Binello, 1195. It's still testified by the plaque on the side of fine portal decorated by Christian symbols.
The Romanesque church of St. Sylvester has an enchanting facade with travertine and pink Subasio stone. It has the mullioned windows with three lights and small twisted columns.